Tuesday 30 July 2013

My Introduction to Blogging

I'll admit it - I'm not a natural Blogger.
My first attempt at blogging didn't go well - one post and then it got left behind all the other more important things in life - kids & work mainly.
So why am I blogging now? Well, one of my interests (besides asbestos surveying) is website SEO - search engine optimization. My interest in SEO stems from wanting my business website to rank as high in Google (other search engines are available) as possible. Blogging can help with this.
Now, my website currently ranks pretty well for my desired search terms. Try typing 'asbestos survey manchester' into Google and you will see my website at No.1 of the natural listings (See what I did there? Link relevant search terms from your blog to your website and it helps your inbound links total - all good news for seo and Google ranking.) So my site is at No.1 despite me being a self-employed individual competing with much larger businesses all trying to reach No.1 for the same search terms, or 'keywords' as the seo world calls them.
But if my website is already doing pretty well in Google, why do I need to start a blog? Well, it's not the only reason I'm doing this. I'm also hoping to help a few people along the way. I have a wealth of experience of asbestos surveying, a fair amount of experience in web design and seo, and I also know a smidgeon (is that a word? - spellcheck doesn't think so) about construction & building surveying.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a world expert on any of these topics but what I do know is from my own experience and my experience of working with others. Hopefully my posts will help someone, somewhere, at some point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment